English Department with cooperation of Komar Research Center organizes a workshop on academic writing “Write it Right: A Workshop on Academic Writing”.
This workshop outlines the core principles of effective academic writing in English. It is divided into two parts. The first part begins by introducing the audience to the importance, uses and applications of academic English and then draws attention to some misconceptions about its use. It then explains with illustrations each principle. The second part of the workshop engages the audience members into a problem-solving activity in which they are required to convert a non-academic passage into an academic one by applying the principles explained.
- Dr. Muayad Jajo, Chairman and Assistant Professor of Department of English, Komar University of Science and Technology.
- Miss. Zareena Younis, English-Language Instructor at the Center of Intensive Language Programs, Komar University of Science and Technology.
- IDENTIFY: The principles of academic English
- CONVERT: Non-academic English-language discourse into academic English
- GENERATE: Effective discourse in Academic English
KUST and non-KUST community, particularly faculty members, researchers, scholars and students, who wish to acquire, or improve their, academic writing skills in English or in any other language.
9:00 AM – 09:30 AM INTRODUCTION TO THE ACADEMIC WRITING
- Importance, Uses and Applications of Academic English
09:30 AM – 10:30 AM PRINCIPLES OF ACADEMIC WRITING:
- Sentence Structure
10:30 AM – 11:00 AM
Members of the audience receive a passage written in non-Academic English and are asked to convert it to academic English by applying the principles elaborated above.